As the day goes by and my intuition rises to a point that tells me to stop at The Grove. My stride to the middle of the grassy area leads my eyes to a retail bus right smack in the middle of this outdoor shopping center. Across from it and around it are stores like Nike blasting their music and Nordstorms shoppers shuffling inside and out. Then there is a black bus in the middle of the grass next to a stage of musicians getting ready to play their instruments is an accessories company called The Giving Keys.
I walked over and eyed the quotes on their chalk board like bus with wonder. One of the woman dressed in all black with short chopped blonde hair greeted me with a smile. Finally another woman said hello and asked if I heard of their company and what they do. So, let me give you the low down on what I learned on The Giving Keys from these lovely ladies and their site:
- They are a company that employ the homeless transitioning back into a home or/ and job
- The story started with a key from a hotel in New York where, Actress and Singer/Songwriter, Caitlin Crosby, would wear it as a necklace on tours and any where else.
- Caitlin started to engrave this key and other keys of words of encouragement
- What was next was what you call life falling into place is when Caitlin ran into a couple Rob and Cera on Hollywood Blvd. At the time Caitlin saw them in the rain holding a sign that read, “Ugly, Broke, & Hungry.”
- Caitlin asked them out to dinner.
- While they were at dinner Caitlin found out Cera knew how to make jewelry. Caitlin then asked if they could be business partners.
The rest is yet to come and they are on their way of rebelling by caring.
“Keep your eyes open to all the needs you see around you. They are all over the place”
“HE HAD SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SOUL. AFTER I GAVE HIM THE NECKLACE HE THANKED ME, GAVE A HUG AND A FLOWER. I WAS SO THANKFUL TO HAVE MET HIM. TILL THIS DAY HIS STORY ENCOURAGES ME TO BELIEVE.
-ELIZABETH (quote on the front the bus)
The boutique inside of this bus showcased necklaces, charmed bracelets, and chokers necklaces to try on. There inside the white interior with wood displays and white trays laid out a foundation to giving back and the rewards The Giving Keys has an impact on especially on Taylor Swift. She was given one by her friend and now this paying forward extends to Swift to pass along once to someone else.
This is how they became The Giving Keys company paying it forward for others to inspire and give back to the homeless that are in transition. One person would buy a necklace or bracelet with a word that is a goal that they want to achieve and they would have to pass it to someone who needed it. Some of the words read: Faith, Create, Believe and Hope. Then that person would do the same and pass to someone else. They team up with organizations like LIFT and Downtown Women’s Center (DWC) in helping the homeless to transition back into society with a job and a place to live.
This chalk board bus will be at the Grove until this Sunday August 14th (189 The Grove Dr. Los Angeles, Ca. 90036). So check them out. Tell me what you think.
I’m inspired by Caitlin’s words at Ted Talks see her explain her story. There is always a story behind every great rebel. Keep dreaming big and go out there! Go for it Rebels.
xoxo – lei.phillips